If this blog's headline grabbed you, here are some stats that are making headlines in healthcare recruiting today:
- 31% of hospitals surveyed readily admit that they cannot find enough candidates.
- The World Health Organization reported in 2013 that there was a shortage of 7.2 million healthcare workers around the world. By 2035, that number is expected to reach 12.9 million.
- The unemployment rate in the United States for all healthcare workers is 2.5%, which makes the national average look rather pale in comparison.
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics is projecting that there will be 1 million vacant RN jobs by the year 2022 – and that's just the RNs! Think of the volume of open LPN and CNA roles that also fall under nursing.
- 8 of the top 10 most difficult occupations to fill? That's right – a recent American Staffing Association survey lists healthcare positions including the elusive Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant.
Healthcare recruiting is complex
The required licenses, certifications and recruitment marketing messages are vastly different based on role and specialty area. Recruit for a health system? I bet you would agree that the personality and needs from one hospital location to the next are also unique. Decentralized recruiting efforts (think allied health vs. nursing) can also play a part in how your organization effectively, or not so effectively, communicates your holistic employer brand to talent.
So, what's a gr8 healthcare recruiter to do?
Start by evaluating your goals and asking the right questions about the pulse of your current strategy:
- Does it heavily lean on "traditional" (aka: comfortable) tactics such as costly one-off email blasts through paid media?
- Do you have time in your day to personalize the candidate lead journey and tell your unique stories directly to top candidates?
- Is your ATS your "band-aid" approach to candidate relationship management?
- Are you reengaging with the talent pool you've amassed, or repeatedly starting from scratch when sourcing?
- Is the investment in your employer brand being maximized?
GR8 people has prepared an E-Book just for you. In addition to some gr8 insights on employer brand advocacy and Talent CRMs for healthcare, it presents a candidate journey through the eyes of a recruiter just like you and the job seeker. Keep reading and get this GR8 E-Book on (Healthier) Healthcare and Nurse Recruiting Tips now.